Mole Ploughing (Draining)
Project Manager: James Christensen
Job No.: Various
Start Date: Usually early spring
Key features of the work and/or statistics:
- Bulldozer and rubber tryed tractor mounted mole ploughs are used to create a mole channel and associated ground fracturing to improve soil drainage and aeration.
Key equipment used:
- Bulldozer & mole plough
- Rubber tyred tractor and mole plough
Brief description of the work:
Mole ploughing has a number of benefits such as improved drainage and aeration but its performance can be further enhanced by a pipe drainage and the type of backfill in that pipe network (stone).
Mole ploughing needs to be carried out in quite specific directions and spacings which are dependent on a number of factors including:
- Surface Slope
- Position of the existing drainage network
- Type of backfill in the network
- Location of natural outlets (Open drains etc)
Soil moisture is critical to the success of the mole ploughing operation.
Mini-mole ploughing can be a beneficial process for sport turf applications.