Land Drainage – Mapuna Dairies
Client: Mapuna Dairies
Project Manager: James Christensen
Job No.: 7822
Site Supervisor: Jjames Christensen
Key features of the work and/or statistics:
- Full RTK GPS contour surveying and then drainage design and build. Environmental compliance, co-operation with suppliers and other contractors.
- A feature was to design and build a large scale land drainage system to aid in the drainage of a grazed dairy farm so that pasture production is maximised and treading damage is minimised. This drainage system has to work within the limits of existing drainage infrastructure and fit within existing and new paddock layouts.
- We installed 600m of 200mm, 5000m of 150mm & 23,000m of 110mm pipe.
Key equipment used:
- Mastenbroek 2015 Chain Trencher
- Marooka Stone Hoppers x 2
- Kobelco SK135 & 115 Excavators
- Hitachi Loader
Brief description of the work:
Blackley Construction are one year into a three year project where the drainage is being installed in a systematic manner that gives the client the best return on their investment. The property has an existing drainage system that is pumped out into a natural wetland known as “Boggy Pond” which is situated close to the shores of Lake Ferry in the Wairarapa. These pumps take the excess water from an estimated area of 4000ha. The property we are draining sits in the lowest point of this catchment so is subject to long periods of the soil being at field capacity. Blackley Construction undertook a farm scale contour survey of the property so a general drainage design layout could be decided. Once the preliminary design had been approved the job moved to the peg out stage and final pipe grade design ready for installation. The install team followed the plans and laid the pipe to plan with minimal disruptions to the clients farming operation.
In this project the sub-soil drains are being backfilled with washed metal. The quantity of washed metal needed to complete this project far exceeds the quantity that the local contractor can produce. Blackley Construction have co-operated with several gravel suppliers to ensure that the appropriate grade of stone is available in the quantities that are required.