Runway Drainage – Ohakea
Client: Higgins Contractors
Project Manager: James Christensen
Job No: 6975
Site Supervisor: Jason Turner
Key features of the work and/or statistics:
- The project involved the installation of 3300m of Megaflo 300 drainage medium complete with F2 filter material backfill
- The drainage was required to stop ground water seeping under the runway.
Key equipment used:
- Marooka Backfill trucks
- Interdrain 1515 Chain Trencher
- Tractor & Trailer and a Nikkon Dump Truck
- Hired Mastenbroek Chain Rock Trencher
- Kobelco SK 80 Excavator
Brief description of the work:
The ground conditions at Ohakea are generally vey stony river run type material which can be difficult to excavate hence the wide range of equipment on the site.
We also came across a large number of unknown services during the operation which kept our operators busy.
And to complicate the project further the work was carried out while the runway was fully operational which meant that all excavated material had to be removed as we went and backfilling the trench had to take place as soon as possible.