After soil testing and a complete site survey it was decided that an HDPE liner with geotextile, gas venting and safety ladders would be installed. The earthworks took 8 weeks to complete. The leak detection system was then installed and the area was made ready for the lining operation which took two days. Once the liner was installed the existing tile drains cut by the earthworks were redirected around the toe of the bank. The area was then topsoiled and grassed.
Key features of the work and/or Statistics
- Pond Sizing was determined by Fonterra.
- Blackley’s were engaged early in the project and this allowed us to investigate if the pond could be constructed using Practice Note 21 “In-Situ Clay pond criteria.
- Unfortunately the soil profile did not meet the permeability requirements.
- The pond measures 65m x 55m x 4m deep and has a working capacity of 9020m³.
Key equipment used:
- Kobelco SK 210 Excavator
- Terex Motor Scraper
- :Peter and Barbara Tennant
- Job No: